- Class Dates
- 03/30/2024 to 03/31/2024
- Delivered By
- In Person
- Meeting Times
- Meets SuSa, 08:00 a.m. - 05:00 p.m.
- Meeting Location
- Red Oak Hollow Lathe Works, 4025 Walnut Creek Drive, Wamego, Kansas
RRES 200 - Class Number: 15944
Woodturning is the act of using a wood lathe and specialized cutting tools to shape wood into useful, artful, or whimsical projects. This class will focus on the useful and artful. We will cover safety, sharpening, and use of the tools, selection of wood, mounting the wood on the lathe, shaping it with these tools, sanding, and finishing. Students will complete three projects to acquire hands-on experience of woodturning techniques and how to safely use the tools. Projects include turning a small bowl, turning a candlestick, and spindle duplication. These skills are useful for the hobbyist, the wood artist, and the professional woodworker who may work in the field of furniture making or architectural woodturning.
- Location: Red Oak Hollow Lathe Works at 4025 Walnut Creek Drive, Wamego, KS Drive east from the Manhattan Mall toward Wamego on US 24 about nine miles. Watch for Flush Road at seven miles and go about two more miles. Turn right on Vineyard. Take first right onto Whitetail Lane and go to end. Turn right on Turkey Trail. Go down over hill and turn left on Walnut Creek Drive. 4025 is at the end. Shop is on the left side of the house and to the rear as you approach.
- Equipment and attire: Needed equipment will be furnished. Long hair must be tied back out of the way. Wear a high neckline shirt. No loose clothing or dangling jewelry. If you have a pair of leather work gloves, bring them but don’t buy them before the first class. Prerequisites: None
- Need additional information about this class? Contact UFM credit coordinators Samantha Lovitt, firstname.lastname@example.org or Erin Ford, email@example.com. Office phone: 785-539-8763.
- Class break: This will be two full day classes so bring a lunch. There is a small refrigerator in the shop. We’ll take a break to eat and will talk about the current project.
- Instructor Thomas Boley's permission is required after 03/30/2024.
- Enrollment Dates
- 10/23/2023 to 03/30/2024
- Enrollment Limit
Enrollments received on or after the first day of class may be assessed a $65 special handling fee.
Courses in Kansas State University’s new tuition and fees structure charge by program type — campus-based or online — versus by individual course delivery format. Tuition and fees rates are available at k-state.edu/costs.